Tuesday 23 October 2012

My Very Own Veggie Lasagna


This is a lasagna I've created myself...I guess I've made enough lasagnas now to know what is basically required.
I've got to say, I must have learnt well, because Mark says this was the best veggie lasagna he's ever had - and he was a veggie for years! 
I might add, at first when I told him it was veggie, he was disappointed -  it had to have been a good one to get such rave reviews!!

So this is what I did...

I started with a bit of olive oil in the pan. Added 1 chopped onion to soften for about 3 minutes. Then added about 1 cup of sliced mushrooms and let cook for about 5 minutes on medium heat.
Next I added 2 grated carrots.


Next I added 1 can of pasta sauce and let simmer for about 5 minutes while I figured out which seasonings to use.
I decided to add 3 cloves of garlic, pressed, 1 tablespoon each of dried oregano and dried parsley.


While the sauce was simmering, I sliced 2 zucchini lengthwise and grilled the for 3 minutes per side on a preheated grill (400 degrees).


I started layering my pan with sauce followed by 3 whole wheat noodles, another layer of sauce and some mozzarella cheese.


Then a layer of grilled zucchini.


And then a layer of cottage cheese and egg mixture and a sprinkle of ground black pepper. 
(I had combined 1 cup of cottage cheese with 1 egg)


Add another layer of noodles and repeat layering.


Finish with a layer of noodles, sauce, mozzarella and a scattering of fresh parsley.


Bake for 30 minutes, covered in a 350 degree oven.
Remove foil and bake for another 15 minutes.
Broil for an additional 3 - 5 minutes until golden.
Remove and let rest for about 5 minutes. 
Slice.


Serve with additional parsley and grated Parmesan cheese.
Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment