Tuesday 22 May 2012

Liquid Sunshine - One Week, One Month Limoncello



Mark and I were sitting out on our balcony in the glorious sunshine, reading our books, when I came across this little gem. I remembered Italian friends of mine telling me about visiting Italy and enjoying this amazing drink. I was determined to get this project underway (considering it takes one week and one month to make) just to see what the hoopla was about!

Makes about 6 cups
zest of 6 lemons
750 ml vodka
3 cups sugar
3 cups water

Put the lemon zest in bowl and pour in the vodka. Cover the bowl and let stand for one week at room temperature.
In a large saucepan, combine the sugar and water and cook over medium heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. 

Remove from heat and let cool to warm. Add the vodka mixture and stir well. 
Strain the liquid into sterilized bottles; seal and refrigerate for at least 1 month or up to a year.


Serve very cold, in small glasses.





No comments:

Post a Comment