I made such fun food for Super Bowl Sunday, I just wanted to tag it on to my blog this week.
Slow-cooker Sticky Chicken Wings
* 1 (3-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
* 4 garlic cloves, peeled
* 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
* 1/4 cup soy sauce
* 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 4 pounds chicken wings, halved at joint and wingtips removed
* 1/4 cup water
* 1/4 cup tomato paste
1. MAKE RUB Pulse ginger, garlic, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne in food processor until finely ground. Add mixture to slow cooker insert. Add chicken and toss until combined.
2. COOK AND COOL Cover and cook on low until fat renders and chicken is tender, 3 to 4 hours. Using slotted spoon, remove wings from slow cooker and transfer to clean large bowl (discard liquid in slow cooker). Let wings cool 20 minutes (or cool briefly and refrigerate up to 24 hours).
3. SAUCE AND BROIL Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat broiler. Set wire rack inside rimmed baking sheet and spray rack with baking spray. Whisk water, tomato paste, remaining sugar, remaining soy sauce, and remaining cayenne in bowl. Add half of sauce to bowl with cooled wings and toss gently to coat. Arrange wings, skin side up, on prepared rack. Broil until wings are lightly charred and crisp around edges, 10 to 15 minutes. Flip wings, brush with sauce, and continue to broil until well caramelized, about 3 minutes. Serve.
* 6 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
* 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil
* 3 cloves minced garlic
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
* 1/4 cup fresh basil, stems removed
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1 French baguette
* 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat the oven on broiler setting.
2. In a large bowl, combine the roma tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, basil, salt, and pepper. Allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes.
3. Cut the baguette into 3/4-inch slices. On a baking sheet, arrange the baguette slices in a single layer. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes, until slightly brown.
4. Divide the tomato mixture evenly over the baguette slices. Top the slices with mozzarella cheese.
|Under the broiler for 3-5 minutes|
2 garlic cloves
¼ tsp anchovy paste
1/4 cup capers, drained
zest from 1 lemon
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup olive oil
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped, packed flat-leaf parsley
Avocado salsa verde:
Add 2 peeled, pitted avocados along with anchovy, capers and lemon. Whirl until creamy. Continue with recipe.
1. Whirl garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. Add anchovy, capers, lemon zest and lemon juice. Pulse in olive oil just until combined. Add parsley and pulse just until slightly chunky, but not puréed. Use immediately or refrigerate in a sealed jar for up to two weeks. Makes 1 cup
Tuesday Nights Dinner
Pesto Penne with Tuna Sundried and Roasted Grape Tomatoes
* 450 g pkg penne
* 2 170g cans chunk light tuna in a vegetable broth and oil (do not drain)
* 1/2 cup finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
* 2/3 cup pesto
* 2 550 ml containers grape tomatoes
* 1 tbsp olive oil
* 2 tsp brown sugar
* 1/4 tsp salt
* pepper to season
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Toss 2 550-mL containers grape tomatoes with 1 tbsp olive oil, 2 tsp brown sugar and 1/4 tsp salt. Season with pepper. Scatter tomatoes on prepared sheet. Roast in centre of oven, shaking pan halfway through, until tomatoes are soft and golden brown, about 20 min.
2. Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water, following package directions but omitting salt, until al dente, 7 to 8 min.
3. Drain pasta and return to pot. Stir in tuna with broth and oil, sun-dried tomatoes and pesto until combined. Toss in roasted grape tomatoes. Serve immediately.
|Topped with a few sprigs of parsley and parmesan|