Tuesday 28 February 2012

Simple Southern Cusine - Jambalaya with a side of Golden Cornbread

I went searching for a good Dutch oven recipe today and stumbled upon this fiery southern comfort food.
I recently acquired a Dutch oven, a birthday pressie from my soon-to-be in-laws (thanks Ann and Jeff for the support, I know how much you guys enjoy my blog).
My dad had always stressed the importance of having this tool in my kitchen, and as this blog is dedicated to him (see my very first entry), I'm so glad I finally have one.
I really love the KitchenAid 5 quart I have; I'll be able to do roasts, chickens and casserole type dishes like the one I prepared tonight.
I know my dad, where ever he may be,  is very happy for me.

Jambalaya
Ingredients
    * 1/4 cup olive oil
    * 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
    * Creole seasoning, recipe follows
    * 1 chicken, cut into 8 pieces
    * 1 1/2 pounds andouille sausage, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
    * 2 cups chopped onion
    * 1 cup chopped celery
    * 1 cup chopped bell pepper
    * 2 tablespoons minced garlic
    * 3 bay leaves
    * 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    * 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped thyme leaves
    * 1 cup chopped tomatoes
    * 6 cups water
    * 2 cups rice
    * Salt and pepper
    * 1 cup chopped green onions
    * 1/2 cup chopped parsley
Directions
In a large Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium high heat. Season shrimp with Creole seasoning and saute until almost cooked through, about 4 minutes.
Using a slotted spoon, remove shrimp and set aside until later.
Season chicken pieces with Creole seasoning. Add remaining olive oil to Dutch oven and when hot, add chicken pieces and saute until browned on both sides, about 8 minutes.
Remove and set aside. Add sausage and cook until browned.
Add onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic, bay leaves, cayenne and thyme and cook until vegetables are wilted, about 6 minutes. Add tomatoes and water and return chicken pieces to pot.
Season with salt and pepper and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
Add rice to pot, stir well and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and cook for 15 minutes. Add shrimp, green onions and parsley to Dutch oven, mixing carefully, and continue to cook, covered, for another 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit 10 minutes before serving.

Creole Seasoning
    * 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
    * 2 tablespoons salt
    * 2 tablespoons garlic powder
    * 1 tablespoon black pepper
    * 1 tablespoon onion powder
    * 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
    * 1 tablespoon dried oregano
    * 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.


Cornbread
Ingredients
    * 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
    * 2 1/2 cups milk
    * 2 cups all-purpose flour
    * 1 tablespoon baking powder
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * 2/3 cup white sugar
    * 2 eggs
    * 1/2 cup vegetable oil
Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). In a small bowl, combine cornmeal and milk; let stand for 5 minutes. Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Mix in the cornmeal mixture, eggs and oil until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment