Tuesday 28 June 2011

Carrot Salad and Grilled Roast Beef with Root vegetables in Honey and Balsamic Vinager

It was a VERY busy Tuesday for me today!As well as my regular Tuesday shopping and preperation for dinner, I met with my friend and work colleague, James, to go check out a neighbourhood gardening shop...Art Knapps, The Urban Garden at 1401 Hornby Street, Vancouver. It's a really great place, but I hardly got a chance to look around because my MISSION was stocking my new balcony herb garden.
I managed to pick up a patio variety cherry tomato plant, and some basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, and sage plants.
I've been lucky enough to get lots of helpful tips from Mark's colleague, Chris, who has THE most amazing balcony garden ever...I appreciate all the helpful advice she's given.
Wish me luck!!!!

Cherry Tomato amd Basil

And my other Herbs

The Recipe

4 lb (2 kg) sirloin roast
2 tbsp olive oil
Coarse sea salt and fresh ground pepper

Let beef sit at room temp. for at least 1 hour.
Heat BBQ to high (400C).
Sear top for 2 minutes. Turn. Sear bottom for 2 minutes. Repeat.


Roast in oven, uncovered for 1 hour or until the thermometer reads 145F (63C) for medium rare.
Remove from oven and let rest on cutting board, loosely covered for 20 min.


Root Vegetables in Honey and Balsamic Vinegar


1 small turnip
2 medium beets
1 large sweet potato
3 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp honey
2 sprigs of Rosemary
Salt and pepper

Toss vegetables with other ingredients.
Transfer to pan.


Roast for 45 minutes at 350.



Carrot Salad

2 small carrots, peeled and made into long, thin strips with a vegetable peeler
2 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
1/4 cup Italian (flat leaf) parsley
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 lemon, juiced
Pinch coriander (cilantro)
Salt and pepper
2 cups mixed greens


Place carrot strips into large mixing bowl.
Add all other ingredients, toss together and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment